“We relied upon Kerman & Co for solid and sensible advice, which contributed greatly to the overall success of the investment.” – Managing Partner, Zhejiang United Investment Group
Healthcare & Life Sciences
Our team has many years of experience in acting on behalf of participants in the healthcare & life science sectors, including on behalf of pharmaceutical companies, biotechs, medical device manufacturers, digital health companies, IVF providers, pharmacies, investors and venture capital funds.
Our multi-disciplinary team includes independently recognised lawyers practicing in areas such as mergers and acquisitions, venture capital, private equity, licensing and distribution, commercial contracts, intellectual property and dispute resolution. They are supported by teams from our real estate and employment departments.
We advise clients across a variety of development stages from working with start-ups, to advising companies and investors participating in early-stage funding rounds (including EIS and SEIS investment), to carrying out international structuring, to acting on international manufacturing, licencing and distribution arrangements.
We offer expert advice on:
- Company incorporation (domestic and international)
- Funding rounds (including seed rounds, EIS, SEIS, Series A and Series B)
- Debt financing
- Joint ventures, collaboration and commercialisation arrangements
- Commercial agreements for research, clinical trails, manufacture, supply, distribution, licensing and technology transfer
- Company, product and intellectual property acquisitions, sales and licencing
- Intellectual property dispute resolution
- Real estate and construction
Representative Healthcare & Life Sciences Sector Experience
Examples of our team’s healthcare and life sciences sector expertise include:
- Advised Zhejiang Silk Road Fund, a private equity fund, on its participation in CMR Surgical Ltd’s $100m Series B funding round – believed to be Europe’s largest ever fundraising in the medical devices industry.
- Advised Tictrac, a medtech company focused on health and wellness software, on its investment by Aviva.
- Advised the shareholders of System Analytic Limited, a healthcare analytics company, on their sale to Suddler & Hennesey (subsidiary of listed WPP plc).
- Advised the shareholders of Galliard Healthcare in their sale to United Drug (UDG Plc).
- Advised UroPharma, a specialist drug delivery company, on numerous investment rounds, collaboration agreements, manufacturing, licencing and distribution arrangements and an international restructuring.
- Advised Access Fertility, the largest provider of IVF programmes in the UK, on its financial services joint venture with Merchant Money; as well as on an international restructuring and collaboration agreements with various IVF clinics domestically and internationally.
- Advised Axon Healthcare Investments on numerous domestic and international investments in the biotech and healthcare sector.
- Advised Roche in connection with its acquisition of medical equipment assets out of administration.
- Advised Antev, a biotechnology company with a focus on urology, in connection with several initial funding rounds and asset acquisitions.
- Advised INmuneBio Inc, a clinical stage biotechnology company developing immunotherapies to fight cancer, in connection with material transfer and licence agreements relating to umbilical cord tissue samples.
- Advised Viramal, a biotechnology company with a portfolio of hormone therapies, in connection with several funding rounds.
- Advised on the IPO of Clovis Pharma, a biopharmaceutical company focused on acquiring, developing and commercialising cancer treatments.