“Quality legal and sector knowledge, delivered with a commercial and common-sense approach.” – General Counsel, Global Private Company
Every business depends on technology; most use, or create, valuable intellectual property. Our Tech team has the knowledge, experience and pragmatism to guide clients through the complexities of:
- Contracting for tech services (whether as provider or procurer), including managed or outsourced services, Saas or similar and public and private sector procurement.
- Identifying, protecting and exploiting intellectual property.
- Creating, growing and exiting a tech-based company, or investing in or acquiring one.
- Understanding the legal and regulatory challenges of dealign in or with the tech sector, from privacy/GDPR issues to financial services regulation, especially in emerging technologies including Blockchain, AI/Machine Learning, smart contracts and nano-technology.
We have worked on over £50 billion of technology transactions (procurement, outsourcing, JVs and M&A) in the UK and cross-border.
Our team draws from the full range of expertise we have in the firm, including relating to Intellectual Property, Commercial Contracts, M&A/Capital Markets, Employment/Immigration, Dispute Resolution and Real Estate, and from our network in the US and throughout the world.
We deal with issues that include:
- Preparing and negotiating commercial contracts, including technology hardware, software and services procurement; outsourcing and off-shoring; and software development agreements.
- Drafting software licence and SaaS/BPaaS and similar contracts.
- Supporting the full lifecycle of a tech business, from incorporation through funding rounds, M&A activity and trade sale/IPO: both for tech companies and those investing in them.
- Advising on payment systems and FINTECH/REGTECH.
- Advising on data protection policies and relevant compliance issues (including with respect to GDPR).
- Carrying out intellectual property audits and creating strategies for identifying, protecting and exploiting IP.
- Resolving disputes, including by arbitration and mediation.
- Advising on employment and immigration issues.
- Advising on commercial real estate projects, such as acquiring data centres or siting transponders.
Representative Technology Sector Experience
Examples of our team’s technology sector expertise include:
- Advised NYSE-listed Genpact on its acquisition of Citi’s wealth management platform and negotiating agreements with Aviva, NFUM and others.
- Advised Butterfly Software (a data analytics and visualisation company) from incorporation to trade sale to IBM.
- Advised Canopy Simulations on SaaS and other terms with Formula 1 and Formula E teams and with global auto manufacturers.
- Advised the UK’s largest mental healthcare trust on the procurement of outsourced technology services and transitioning from incumbent to replacement service provider.
- Advised a digital music platform on licensing and other contracts.
- Advised Siemens on its bid to provide rolling stock and related services to Crossrail.
- Advised Qatar Telecom on the outsourcing of network management to Ericsson (having already advised ‘3’ on a similar transaction in the UK).
- Advised several Blockchain start-ups on corporate, commercial, employment and incentive arrangements (e.g. options) and IP issues.
- Advised Sparkle (a cloud based POS solution) on taking US investment and on licensing terms in the UK and US.
- Advised US, Australian and other overseas tech companies on doing business in the UK.
- Advised Patni Computer Systems on its US$800m sale to iGate.
- Advised lead venture capital investors in fundraisings for both Spotify and Shazam.
- Advised Yell.com on their data scraping work and injunction needs.
- Successfully represented a global IT company in resolving a Tier 2 Sponsor Licence revocation, ensuring the licence was reinstated at the early stages of the Judicial Review process.
- Advised a Chinese tech start-up company obtain UK work permission for their New Zealand CFO.