“Expert, pragmatic and responsive” – Legal 500
Commercial & IT
Our solutions-based, experienced commercial team are dedicated to helping businesses with all the contractual, commercial and trading issues that they face. Whilst the team works in conjunction with the firm’s other practice areas to provide a comprehensive solution to each client’s requirements, it performs independently rather than simply as a support function to the firm’s other practice groups.
We have a detailed understanding of how organisations work and understand the key business drivers relevant to each specific industry sector. This allows the commercial team to steer clients through the entire lifecycle of their business, from start-up to sale, providing practical legal solutions to real-world business challenges.
We deal with commercial issues in areas that include:
- Preparation and negotiation of commercial contracts, including logistics, IT contracts, franchising, outsourcing, sale and hire of goods, and supply of services.
- Software licences, SaaS contracts, development agreements and IT procurement contracts.
- Other procurement arrangements of all types, such as for facility services, equipment supplies, engaging recruitment agents.
- Terms and conditions (of all types).
- Agreements e.g. variation agreements, distribution and agency, sponsorship, advertising, e-commerce, licences and assignments.
- Data protection policies and relevant compliance issues (including with respect to GDPR).
- Advertising and marketing issues.
- Brand protection, trade mark registration and agreements, IP licensing and image rights.
Representative Commercial & IT Work
Examples of our team’s commercial and IT work include:
- Advised all departments of The All England Lawn Tennis Club (i.e. Wimbledon) and drafted a large suite of standard documents e.g. supplier terms and conditions, consultancy agreements, non-disclosure agreements, procurement contracts, purchase order terms and conditions and sponsorship agreements, to enable Wimbledon to contract with third parties on standard terms that are tailored to the organisation and that offer sufficient protection.
- Advised Applegreen on its Multi-site Corporate Franchise Agreement with an international coffee shop chain, Fuel Haulage Agreements with a large logistics company, Framework Agreement relating to the provision of ATMs in filling stations and Retailer Agreement for Product Distribution.
- Drafted and negotiated Software Development and Maintenance Agreements and all Website Policy Documents for numerous clients including The All England Lawn Tennis Club, the Racehorse Owners Association, social media and picture-sharing platforms and a start-up E-commerce and Crowd Funding platform.
- Assisted in the implementation and management of Anti-Infringement and Brand Protection Programmes for major sporting and commercial clients, which included advice on intellectual property matters, trade mark registration and intellectual property enforcement, including trade mark, copyright and passing off claims.