“Extremely diligent, hardworking and responsive” – Legal 500
Private Equity & Venture Capital
We advise private equity investors, management teams, high net worth angels, family offices, founders, start-ups and growth companies seeking funding on all aspects of private equity and venture capital transactions.
Whilst we advise on deals across a number of industry sectors, we have particular experience in advising on private equity and venture capital deals and investments in the technology, retail, restaurant, finance and healthcare sectors.
We provide specialist advice on:
- Seed and series funding (including EIS and SEIS funding).
- Subsequent funding rounds.
- Debt financing.
- Buy outs.
- Add-on acquisitions.
- Exits via trade sales.
- Structuring the relationships of founders.
- Structuring the transfer of intellectual property from founders and other parties to the company.
- Intellectual property.
- Employment and employee benefits, including service agreements and share options.
Our multi-disciplinary approach means we work collaboratively with other practice areas of the firm to ensure every angle of a transaction is carefully assessed, planned and executed. We regularly draw on expertise from our banking & finance, employment, real estate, commercial and intellectual property teams to assist on advising on private equity and venture capital transactions.
Representative Private Equity and Venture Capital Experience
Advising founding shareholders/management:
- Advised the founding shareholders and management of Sindicatum Carbon Capital in the £20m private equity investment into the company (led by Citigroup and Black River).
- Advised the founding shareholders and management of Palink in (a) the €30m private equity investment into the company (led by Citigroup) and (b) advised Citigroup, the founding shareholder and management in the €300m sale of the company to a consortium of European strategic buyers.
- Advised the management team to secure funding of £7m to create CloserStill Holdings.
- Advised the management team of CloserStill on the sale of CloserStill Holdings and Closer2 Investments to Phoenix Private Equity, whilst retaining approximately a 50% stake in the business.
- Advised the management team on £1.2m buyout of River Group from Proventus A.B.
- Advised the management team on £1.1m buyout of Rushton International.
- Advised the management team on £4.4m buyout of Pimpernel Wharf.
- Advised the management team on the £5m buyout of Ithaca Business Media Limited (IBM) from Penton Media (a US corporate).
- Advised the management team of Ithaca Business Media Limited (IBM) on the £14.25m sale to United Business Media Plc’s UK-based business information division, CMP Information.
- Advised the management on the £9.5m sale of River Group to Sun Capital.
Advising other private equity investors:
- Advised the leading private equity investor in various funding rounds into Spotify.
- Advised one of the leading private equity investors in a significant funding round into Shazam.
- Advised a leading private equity investor in the buyout of Renaissance Capital.
- Advised a private equity investor on a proposed US$1m seed capital investment in PetaQB.
- Advised STE Capital on £5m secured convertible debt investment in Ridee Limited.
- Advised STE Capital on its equity investment in Monese.
- Advised a private equity firm in relation to a multi-million Series A investment into a fintech company.
- Advised a consortium of private investors in connection with the acquisition of significant interests in the Babaji Pide and Park Chinois restaurants, established by renowned restaurateur Alan Yau.