Imran is a Partner and Head of the Firm’s Insolvency and Restructuring practice.
He has experience working on a wide range of cross-border and domestic corporate restructuring and insolvency matters, including advising debtors, creditors, officeholders, banks and other financial institutions, and purchasers of distressed assets. He has a particular focus on the automotive, real estate, financial services, retail and leisure sectors.
Imran joined us after having spent over 10 years at two US law firms Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson, and Sidley Austin.
He received his LLB from King’s College London, holds an LLM in EU Law from College of Europe, and another LLM from Cambridge University. He qualified as a solicitor, and was admitted to practice, in England & Wales in 2012.
Imran has been recognised in both Chambers UK and Legal 500 UK. His clients in Chambers UK note Imran as ‘very knowledgeable, thinks ahead and is always easy to reach’. He is further described in Chambers UK as being ‘very helpful, very responsive and provides sensible commercial answers’.
Representative experience includes:
- Advised Alteri Investors on (a) its purchase of Benson for Beds and Harveys Furniture group from Steinhoff International and (b) its subsequent pre-packaged administration sale of Benson for Beds.
- Advised Jack Wills and its administrators from KPMG on the restructuring and pre-packaged administration sale of the Jack Wills business to Sports Direct.
- Advised the administrators of CX Reinsurance Company Limited (in administration) from Ernst & Young, particularly in connection with obtaining recognition of the UK administration proceedings in the US pursuant to Chapter 15 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Advised a group of US based landlords in relation to the Arcadia group restructuring.
- Advised the board of the Gaucho restaurant group in respect of its restructuring efforts.
- Advised the board of the Powerleague group in connection with its restructuring.
- Advised Pinnacle Foods, and the board of Boulder Brands, in respect of Boulder Brands members voluntary liquidation in the UK.
- Advised Centerbridge, LP in its role as an anchor investor as part of a syndicate that provided in excess of US $ 1 billion new money investment in relation to the restructuring of Seadrill Limited. This deal was awarded the “Restructuring Deal of the Year” at the Deal Awards 2019.
- Advised Northwood Investors in its loan purchases from the Irish Bank Resolution Corporation and the connected acquisitions and restructurings of the Four Seasons Hotel (Prague), the Diagonal Mar Shopping Center (Barcelona), and the Heuston South Quarter offices (Dublin).
- Advising a large multinational automotive group in relation to its worldwide group debt restructuring, liability management, and operational reorganisation.
- Acted for Sberbank successfully in a challenge against an application made to the High Court and the Court of Appeal by the International Bank of Azerbaijan (IBA), in accordance with which the IBA sought an order from the English Courts for a permanent moratorium against creditor action in England and Wales, following IBA’s voluntary restructuring in Azerbaijan.
- Acted for Bank of America successfully in the Titan (Libra/NHP) securitisation litigation in connection with the identity of the Controlling Party and Special Servicer termination.