Joan is an experienced corporate solicitor who is qualified in England and the Republic of Ireland. Her practice focuses on UK, Irish and cross-border transactional work (corporate finance, M&A and private equity) for both public and private companies.
Joan’s experience includes company flotations and secondary offerings of shares on both the Official List and AIM market of the London Stock Exchange PLC as well as the NEX exchange, advice on the Takeover Code, reverse takeovers, cross-border scheme of arrangements, mergers and acquisitions, private placement of shares, venture capital and joint ventures. Joan regularly advises UK and international companies in the natural resources sector with assets in the Far East, Latin America, Europe and Africa as well as early stage business in the technology sector.
Joan studied at the University of London and joined the Corporate and Commercial department in 2000 as a trainee. She qualified as a solicitor in 2002 and became a Partner at Kerman & Co in 2007. Joan is also Head of Asia Pacific for the firm, she is fluent in Cantonese and conversational in Mandarin.
Joan is named as a recognised Equity Capital Markets and Projects, Energy & Natural Resources lawyer in the 2021 edition of the Legal 500.
Representative ECM experience includes:
- Advised AIM-quoted Empyrean Energy PLC on the return of cash (approx. £17.5 million) to shareholders following the sale of its Sugarloaf AMI Project.
- Advised AIM-quoted Metal Exploration Plc on its placing to raise US $ 57.7 million to fund the construction of a gold mine and an open offer to eligible shareholders.
- Advised Applegreen Plc on the English law aspects of its application to dual list on the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange and ESM of the Irish Stock Exchange and contemporaneous €91.7 million placing.
- Advised AIM-quoted Baron Oil PLC with its placing to raise £3 million.
- Advised AIM-quoted Everest Energy Limited in its acquisition of oil and gas interests in Oklahoma and the contemporaneous reverse takeover.
- Advised AIM-quoted Centurion Resources PLC on its acquisition of FinnAust Mining PLC, Rule 9 whitewash and contemporaneous placing.
- Advised AIM-quoted Gold Oil PLC on the English law aspects of the sale of Plectrum Petroleum Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary with a 50% participation in Block Z-34 to Union Oil & Gas Group Corp.
- Advised AIM-quoted AfNat Resources Limited (“AfNat”) in connection with its acquisition by AXMIN of all the outstanding securities of AfNat by way of a scheme of arrangement under the laws of Bermuda.
- Advised AIM-quoted Metals Exploration PLC in respect of the cash offer from Solomon Capital Limited.
- Advised AIM-quoted Bramlin Limited, a Guernsey company in respect of its takeover by AIM-quoted Victoria Oil & Gas PLC by a scheme of arrangement the laws of Guernsey.