International arbitration is often the preferred dispute resolution mechanism for businesses due to its confidential nature and the comparative ease with which arbitral awards can be enforced in many different jurisdictions.
We conduct arbitrations seated in London and abroad under the main arbitral institutions including the LCIA, ICC, UNCITRAL, AAA and SCC as well as having conducted numerous ad hoc arbitrations. We have also acted for clients before the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
Our work has also encompassed a wide range of ancillary court applications in support of arbitral proceedings, including pre-arbitral applications for emergency injunctive relief, challenges to arbitration awards and the enforcement of arbitration awards both in this jurisdiction and in others.
Our international arbitration team's experience includes:
- Acting for an international regulator in a foreign seated arbitration against a ‘big 4’ accountancy firm in connection with financial instruments management fraud and negligent auditors. The value of the claim was approximately $ 1 billion.
- Acting in a dispute concerning the purchase of precious stones and the acquisition of a 50% stake in a mine in Africa. The dispute involved an ICC arbitration in London and many ancillary applications to the English Commercial Court under the ambit of the Arbitration Act 1996 (“AA”). The value of the claim was approximately $ 60million.
- Acting as part of a team advising a leading African metals producer in a $ 200million LCIA arbitration.
- Acting for a European Bank in LCIA arbitration proceedings seeking the recovery of significant sums lent by the Bank to a Russian borrower.
- Acting for a state broadcaster in its challenge under s68 of the AA (‘serious irregularity’) against an award made against it in LCIA arbitration proceedings.
- Acting as co-counsel in various arbitration and emergency arbitration proceedings taking place in the USA on behalf of an oil and gas exploration and production company. The value of the various claims was over US $ 200m.
- Acting for a leading manufacturer in very high value AAA arbitration proceedings.
- Acting for an international business in conjoined arbitrations before the LCIA and ICC.